This presentation by Sarah Lambert, Head of Policy, The National Autistic Society outlines the cost-benefits of preventative support for people with autism.
Preventative support includes
- Employment skills training
- Social skills training
- Social groups
- Travel training
- Independent living skills training (including managing money etc)
- Speech and language therapy
Sarah demonstrates the impact on individuals of not providing this type of support, including:
- Crisis – Acute services which are very expensive, with inpatient mental health care costing between £200 and £300 per day.
- Criminal Justice – high-functioning autism and Asperger Syndrome may be disproportionately represented among the prison population, and that a proportion of these detentions could potentially have been avoided through appropriate early intervention and case management.
- Cost to carers – those caring for someone with autism, a staggering 83% care for over 50 hours a week.