In this film, produced by the Social Care Institute for Excellence, we see how Scott, a man with autism and learning disabilities, and Marie, a professor with Asperger’s Syndrome, learn to make sense of society, with the support of colleagues and family members.
Key messages for practice
- Autism affects people in a huge variety of ways.
- Professionals and others need to have empathy and to understand the perspective of the person with autism.
- People with autism who are in employment often need some additional support.
- Professionals should use the expertise of the person with autism and their family when providing support.
- Good communication with people with autism is vital. This includes recognising behaviour triggers, using visual prompts and speaking in short, clear sentences.
- Society disables people with autism, so we all need to make adjustments to include them.