In this film, produced by the Social Care Institute for Excellence, a social worker supporting a young man with autism with his transition to adult services and a care worker in a day setting discuss effective support for people with autism.
Key messages for practice
- Good communication with people with autism is vital. This includes recognising behaviour triggers, using visual prompts and speaking in short, clear sentences.
- Structure can help people with autism make sense of their day.
- It is important to emphasise positives when working with people with autism.
- Effective support depends on empathy and understanding the world from the perspective of the person with autism.
- People with autism usually respond best to a calm environment.
- People who know the person with autism well, including paid carers and family members, should be involved in effective transition planning.