Getting a diagnosis

Getting a diagnosis of autism or – more particularly – Asperger syndrome as an adult may not be easy.

Approach your GP
Make an appointment with your GP. Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, preferably one with experience of diagnosing autism.

Specialist assessment
Your GP should refer you for a specialist assessment with a specialist service, which can help identify and diagnose autism.

What to do you are unable to get a referral or diagnosis?

Help after a diagnosis

Apply to your local social care or community Mental Health team for an assessment of need.