Somerset Parent Carer Forum is a forum for Parent Carers and carers of children who have additional needs and/or disabilities.
It aims to make parent carer participation an integral part of local services, ensuring that there is involvement at all levels of decision making.
If you have a child or young person from 0 – 25 with a disability and or additional needs then the Somerset Parent Carer forum is for you.
- ensure your voice is heard
- influence decision making
- participate in decision making
- express your thoughts and feedback on current issues
- share your ideas and thoughts
- receive up to date information
- represent other parents
- access to finding your way, a directory of services through a website
What we do
- Consult Parent Carers regarding changes to services and policy and feedback your views to those who make the decisions.
- Identify issues that affect a number of parent carers, raise them with the appropriate department and feedback the results.
- Provide on-going information regarding parent carer participation in Somerset and developments within the services that YOU use.
- Develop a website with information, links and news of both participation events and any other relevant activities.
- Develop an on line forum to seek parent carer views
- Give parent carers the opportunity to exchange thoughts, ideas and useful information with other local parent carers on the online forum.
- Work with the Local Authority to provide parents with a relevant and up to date Directory of Services for Somerset.
- Produce a regular newsletter
What we are not able to do
- Our grant from the Department of Education is for parent carer participation, so what we cannot provide is one to one support or advocacy.
- What we can do however is sign-post parent carers to other people, organisations and support groups who may be able to help.
Benefits of membership
Ensure your voice is heard through:
- Opportunities to influence decision making
- Opportunities to participate in decision making
- Regular newsletters
- The chance to express your thoughts and feedback on current issues.
- The chance to share your views and ideas via our online forum:
- Discover what other parents are saying on the on-line forum
- Receive up to date information – fast
- The opportunity to join the steering group and represent other parents
- Access to ‘Finding Your Way’, a directory of services, via our Website
- Somerset Parent Carer Forum Information 2013
- Somerset Parent Carers Forum membership form 2013